In June 1928 the estate was purchased for $65,000 for the construction of a new home for the Aged of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Mr. Bruce’s income was primarily from his business of distilling liquor and importing wines. Although the Methodist Church frowned upon the consumption of his products, it bought his property).
A campaign to raise funds was initiated in 1929 and some 50 Methodist Episcopal Churches of Baltimore and the funds were raised in just seven days! The Prestwolde Mansion was demolished and the white garage-like building still exists today that housed horse and carriages. Ground was broken on November 16, 1930 on the New Wesley Home.
Over 100 residents were moved from the Franklin Street Home. The Main Hall today contains many pieces of furniture and art objects which were given by residents to the Home including an exquisite inlaid table with a glass top that was willed to the Wesley Home in 1955.